The Project Management Institute (PMI®) recognizes that traditional project management practitioners need to diversify and embrace agile project management tools and techniques to successfully manage today’s complex projects. This is the basis for the introduction of PMI’s latest certification offering, the PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP®).
The PMI-ACP helps experienced project team members demonstrate competency in agile project management. PMI-ACP aspirants must pass a test of their knowledge of the key tools and techniques within the agile framework. Candidates must also demonstrate a general understanding of the different methodologies that fall under the agile umbrella, and document specific experience with these agile tools and techniques on actual projects.
Individuals interested in getting their PMI-ACP certification must:
- Fill out a detailed application
- Be accepted by PMI as a PMI-ACP candidate
- Successfully pass the PMI-ACP Exam
- Maintain the PMI-ACP designation through the successful completion of professional development units (PDUs).
PMI’s requirements for candidates are:
- Secondary degree such as a high school diploma, associate’s degree or global equivalent.
- 2000 hours of unique, non-overlapping general project experience within the last five (5) years. This is waived if you are already certified as a Project Management Professional (PMP®).
- 1500 Hours of unique, non-overlapping agile project experience within the last three (3) years. This agile experience must be separate and distinct from the 2000 hours of general project experience required.
- 21 hours of formal education in agile project management using courseware approved by PMI.
- Understanding of and agreement with the PMI Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct.
- Passing grade on the PMI-ACP Exam.
- Successful completion of 30 hours (PDU’s) of Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR’s) over the course of each 3-year certification cycle, starting on the day you pass the exam.
The PMI-ACP exam content was developed and independently validated by agile professionals around the world and is intended to be industry-agnostic. This content includes many aspects of agile project management but places particular emphasis on the following:
- Familiarity with the values and principles that form the foundation of the agile project management and development framework, as outlined in the Agile Manifesto.
- Knowledge of a variety of agile implementation methodologies, such as Scrum, Extreme Programming, Lean and the Dynamic System Development Method (DSDM).
- Understanding of the agile practices and techniques necessary for agile project success, including Value-Driven Delivery, Stakeholder Engagement and Adaptive Planning.
- Implementation of common agile tools, including Incremental Development, Estimation, Prioritization, and Team Collaboration.
If you are a seasoned agile professional, the PMI-ACP is a great next step in your career path. Platinum Edge offers PMI-ACP preparation courses in combination with CSM courses. Together, these classes satisfy the 21 hours of formal education needed to sit for the PMI-ACP Exam.